Messenger Telegram uses the option to verify the user using an SMS code. What it is and what difficulties may arise with it when receiving SMS from Telegram, you will find in this article.
- What is SMS Code in Telegram
- When Telegram Sends SMS Code
- The Code Does Not Come in SMS From Telegram
- When No SMS Code is Required
What is SMS Code in Telegram
The SMS code in Telegram — is a way to verify the authenticity of the user. Thanks to this method, the user confirms that he is the owner of the Telegram account. Moreover, this verification method is reliable, since a permanent password can sooner or later be hacked, despite the level of its complexity. And a one-time SMS code reduces the chances of hackers to gain access to a Telegram user account.
The SMS code in Telegram is used when registering a new account, at the end of the last session, when replacing the phone number associated with the account, as well as when logging into an existing account on a new device.
For example, you have been using the messenger on your smartphone all the time, but there was a need to use it from a tablet or PC. In this case, when you enter your Telegram account from a new device, an SMS with a verification code will be sent to your mobile phone number to which Telegram is linked, which will need to be entered on the new device.
We will describe this procedure below. And now we want to draw your attention to several important nuances:
- A Telegram account is always tied to a phone number, which means that the code from SMS will always come only to the number tied to the account.
- The SMS code is a five-digit number.
- The code from SMS to Telegram is unique and suitable for one-time use only. That is, after you have entered it, it ceases to be valid, which means that it is not suitable for reuse.
Next, we will take a closer look at when you need to use the SMS code in Telegram
When Telegram Sends SMS Code
So, there are four cases when the Telegram service sends a code to SMS.
Registering a New Account
When registering a new account, Telegram asks the user for a verification code. This code will be sent in an SMS notification to the phone number specified during registration. The notification will contain a five-digit number. If the user registers an account from a smartphone, the application automatically copies the code from the SMS notification. If registration happen from a PC, then the user will need to manually enter a five-digit code.
Sign in From a New Device
In this case, the SMS code is a way to verify the user. That is, in this way Telegram makes sure that it is you who are logging into your account from a new device, and not someone else.
It is worth noting here that when you log into your account from a tablet or PC, the verification code comes to the Telegram application on your smartphone. But there are times when there is no Internet on the smartphone or, for some reason, the Telegram application has been removed. Then it becomes necessary to use the code from the SMS.
To do this, when you log into your account on a new device, after you have provided a phone number (to which your account is linked), you need to select the "Send code via SMS" option in the login window. After that, an SMS code will be sent to your phone number.
End the Last Session
If you end the last session on your smartphone and log out of your account, then upon re-entering Telegram will ask for a verification code. In this case, you will receive a code in SMS. If you end the last session on your tablet or PC, then upon re-entering the verification code will automatically come in the Telegram application itself installed on your smartphone. If the application is not installed on the smartphone, then Telegram will send an SMS.
Only for this it will be necessary, again, as in the case of logging in from a new device, to select the "Send code via SMS" option.
Phone Number Change
When binding a new phone number to an existing Telegram account, the messenger will ask for a confirmation code for your actions. In this case, the code will also come in the form of an SMS notification.
The Code Does Not Come in SMS From Telegram
There are times when, with a certain procedure, whether it is registering a new account or logging in from a new device, when the SMS code from Telegram does not come. Let's take a closer look at these problems and solutions to them.
When Registering a New Account
When registering a new account, SMS from Telegram may not come for the following reasons:
- You are trying to register a new account linked to a virtual number, not a real one. Messenger Telegram does not allow registration of a new account using a virtual number. Solution: use a real phone number.
- You are often asked for an activation code. For example, there was a delay in the arrival of SMS from Telegram and you, without waiting, make several new requests in a short period of time. The message "Too fast" may appear. The messenger may perceive this as suspicious activity and not respond to your requests. Solution: do not rush, wait a couple of minutes and try to request the code again via SMS.
- The mobile operator may perceive the Telegram code as spam. In this case, the message with this code may not come at all. Solution: use the code to call the phone. If this method does not solve the problem, then you will have to contact Telegram technical support, as well as contact the mobile operator.
- In case of unstable mobile communication and various failures from the mobile operator, the SMS code may also not come. Solution: check the coverage level, or restart your smartphone, perhaps after restarting you will receive a belated SMS with a code. As a last resort, contact your mobile operator.
- Also, problems with SMS can arise due to problems with the Telegram application itself. Solution: make sure you downloaded the official Telegram app from reliable sources: Google Play Store. AppStore or the official Telegram website. If you still downloaded the official application, but the SMS code does not come, then you will have to contact Telegram technical support.
When Logging in From a New Device
When entering an existing account from a new device, the code in SMS from Telegram may not come in the following cases:
- When entering, you did not use the "Send code via SMS" option and the confirmation code was received in the Telegram application on your smartphone. Solution: open the app on your smartphone and enter the code from there. If there is no application on your smartphone, and the SMS code has not arrived, then use the "Send code via SMS" option.
- The problem lies with the mobile operator. Solution: check the quality of mobile coverage, if everything is fine with mobile communication, restart your smartphone. If the SMS code did not come, then contact the operator and find out if there are any failures in the delivery of SMS. If everything is in order on the part of the operator, contact the Telegram support service.
When No SMS Code is Required
The SMS code may not be required only if you left the application without ending the session. That is, you closed the application without leaving your account. No verification code is required when reopening the app.
As you can see, the aforementioned problems with the SMS code from Telegram are not difficult to solve. If you do not have time to delve into the problem and figure out why the SMS code does not come, you can always immediately contact the Telegram support service. But remember that the answer can be very long.